Sunday, July 17, 2016

On the Road Toward Home

The past two days have been full days of travel. This part of Summer Adventure 2016 is coming to an end. Ray has a couple of doctor appointments, I have a dentist appointment and the all important date with my niece, Kerri, for my shaggy hair and we have a date with grandchildren to go to the Smoky Mountains.

Friday we drove 452 miles from Green River, Utah to Seibert, Colorado. The drive in Colorado became congested and the road was rough with steep grades and there was a sustained wind. There were a couple of tunnels to pass through,  the longest was about 1.7 miles and it was eerie to be descending the 1.64% grade while inside the tunnel walls. It's a good thing we entered at 11,158 feet above sea level because it seemed we were diving into the bowels of Earth.  The views of the Rocky Mountains were incredible. 

When we reached Denver, I sent my friend, Terry, a text message to say hi and I would have said hi to Gail, if I had her number. After rolling through Denver the road leveled out, but the wind was steady and pushed against us until we stopped for the night in Seibert. 

The rocky ride caused a few problems....the door to the utility compartment had become lodged; it took 3 men to work and pry it open, only after I had been out lying under the coach trying to dislodge that door. Then we noticed the clock with indoor/outdoor temperature wasn't displaying the outdoor temperature. We assumed it had been jarred loose and lost, the kitchen backsplash dropped a section of tile. If we had wine, I think I would have had a glass. I ate potato chips, instead. 

Saturday we were up and on the road again. The road was better, traffic was minimal, but the wind was continuous. We stopped at a rest area after about 100 miles for a safety check of everything, especially the utilty door Ray put Duck Tape on to ensure it wouldn't blow open after being pried open the night before. All was well and we were rolling along another 150 miles. We stopped to make a sandwich for lunch. Ray went to look everything over. The tow lights were gone. I guess the wind carried them away. I'm glad there wasn't much traffic or those lights could have done some damage to a car. We didn't travel as far as we had planned. It was suppertime so we decided to stop for the night. I was chatting with Vicki A., as we often do, and she told me about a nice place they had stayed in the area. Deer Creek Valley RV Park was just 24 miles ahead, I called them, they had a place for us. Just as Vicki had said, it was a very nice place. 

We have another 652 miles to go. We may get there today. I hope you have enjoyed this adventure with us. I have taken more than 2,000 pictures, look for some of them to show up on Facebook after we get home. We've made a list of things to fix on the coach when we get there. I'm sure when the list is completed Ray will be ready for another adventure, maybe to find a pontoon ride in Wisconsin!

1 comment: